At my desk at home. In my head first, while running or in the shower, or just twiddling my thumbs, then at the desk.
2. Internet on or off while you’re writing?
Definitely on. I never know what obscure fact I might need to google.
3. Which book/poem do you wish you’d written?
On The Road. If Jack Kerouac experienced even half of what was in that book, it would have been great fun to write.
4. Which book are you constantly lending your friends?
My copy of Luke Davies’s Candy. I forced it upon about six or seven people when it came out and it actually disappeared for a good year before I tracked it down again. Who knows who else read it.
5. Which fictional character do you think you're most romantically compatible with?
Sabina in Milan Kundera’s The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
6. Best piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?
It’s never too late to start.
7. If you could only read and re-read one book for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. If I was forced to do only one thing over and over, it’d have to be laughter, and I haven’t read a funnier book.
8. Which book do you only pretend to like to look cool/well-read?
Ulysses by James Joyce. And I only read about half of it.
9. What are you working on at the moment?
Channeling my inner Raymond Chandler for a short story with a noir element.